Here are 74 great quotes on the importance of reading. As more individuals choose their electronic devices over a book, it is necessary to remind the world of the value of reading. These quotes should encourage you and others around you to put down your smartphones and Xbox controllers and add additional reading time.
Reading is one of the most productive practices that a person may develop. It has a very favourable effect on almost every element of our lives. To learn more about the importance of reading, you may read the article on the benefits of reading a book and why it is so important and get motivated to read more.
However, if you want to read quotations on the significance of reading, you are on the correct website.
Quotes On The Importance of Reading.
1. “A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t read.” – Mark Twain.
This quote speaks volumes and serves as a great inspiration to expand one’s knowledge and horizon with a book.
2. “There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.” – Walt Disney.
3. “It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.” – Oscar Wilde
4. “Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” – Frederick Douglass.
5. “Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.” – Groucho Marx.
6. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr Seuss.
7. “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” – Stephen King.
8. “Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
9. “Books train your mind to imagination to think big.” – Taylor Swift.
10. “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” – Charles W. Eliot.
11. “There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book.” – Frank Serafini.
12. “Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.” – Maya Angelou.
13. “A great book should leave you with many experiences and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” – William Styron.
This quote on the importance of reading shows that you can take a mental trip through a book and experience different places and people you might otherwise not meet.
14. “You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney.
15. “Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.” – Voltaire.
16. “A book is a dream that you hold in your hand.” – Neil Gaiman.
17. “It is books that are the key to the wide world; if you can’t do anything else, read all that you can.” – Jane Hamilton.
18. “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.” – Victor Hugo.
19. “I think it’s the books that you read when you’re young that live with you forever.” – J.K. Rowling.
20. “If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
21. “Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” – Mason Cooley.
22. “We lose ourselves in books. We find ourselves there too.” – Anonymous.
23. “Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” – George R. R. Martin.
24. “There is no friend as loyal as a book.” – Ernest Hemingway.
25. “There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favourite book.” – Marcel Proust.
26. “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman.
27. “There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island. – Walt Disney.
28. Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world, a door opens to allow in more light. – Vera Nazarian.
29. “Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” – Mason Cooley.
30. “A room without books is like a body without a soul .”– Marcus Tullius Cicero.
31. “You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy books and that’s kind of the same thing.” – Unknown.
32. “Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” – Margaret Fuller.
33. “Grinning is something you do when you are entertained in some way, such as reading a good book or watching someone you don’t care for spill orange soda all over themselves.” – Lemony Snicket.
34. “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” – Joseph Addison
35. Reading brings us unknown friends – Honore de Balzac
36. Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them. – Lemony Snicket
37. Books break the shackles of time – proof that humans can work magic. – Carl Sagan
38. The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading. – David Bailey
39. There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world. Love of books is the best of all. – Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
More Quotes On The Importance Of Reading.
40. He that loves reading has everything within his reach. – William Godwin
41. Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for. – Socrates
42. What better occupation, really, than to spend the evening at the fireside with a book, with the wind beating on the windows and the lamp burning bright. – Gustave Flaubert
43. I think of life as a good book. The further you get into it, the more it begins to make sense. – Harold Kushner
44. Reading for me, is spending time with a friend. – Gary Paulsen
45. Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood. – John Green
46. Only a generation of readers will spawn a generation of writers. – Steven Spielberg
47. A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. – Gilbert K. Chesterton
48. A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it or offer your own version in return. – Salman Rushdie
49. “So many books, so little time.” – Frank Zappa
50. “A book is a dream that you hold in your hand.” – Neil Gaiman
51. “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” – Albert Einstein
52. “You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy books, and that’s kind of the same thing.” – Anonymous
53. “The greatest gift is a passion for reading.” – Elizabeth Hardwick
54. “Reading is like thinking, like praying, like talking to a friend, like expressing your ideas, like listening to other people’s ideas, like listening to music, like looking at the view, like taking a walk on the beach.” – Roberto Bolaño.
In essence, reading is an essential part of life and self-development. Feel free to copy any of these quotes on the importance of reading that inspires you the most and place them in places where you will get to read them often and be inspired to read.
55. “Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his needs, is good for him.” – Maya Angelou
56. “No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting.” – Mary Wortley Montagu
57. “When you learn to read you will be born again…and you will never be quite so alone again.” – Rumer Godden
58. “Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.” – Emilie Buchwald
59. “We read to know we are not alone.” – C.S. Lewis
60. “One of the greatest gifts adults can give—to their offspring and to their society—is to read to children.” – Carl Sagan
61. “No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.” – Confucius
62. “If you are going to get anywhere in life, you have to read a lot of books.” – Roald Dahl.
This is precisely why reading is unavoidable as part of self-development, especially to advance in one’s career. Hopefully, these quotes on the importance of reading will inspire you to pick up a book that interests you and start reading today.
63. “I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library.” – Jorge Luis Borges
64. “A house without books is like a room without windows.” – Heinrich Mann
65. “If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books.” – Roald Dahl
66. “Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” – Margaret Fuller
67. “A parent or a teacher has only his lifetime; a good book can teach forever.” – Louis L’Amour
68. “Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers.” – Harry S Truman
69. “Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier.” – Kathleen Norris
70. “A book is a gift you can open again and again.” – Garrison Keillor
71. “Reading is important because if you can read, you can learn anything about everything and everything about anything.” – Tomie dePaola
72. “There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world. Love of books is the best of all.” – Jacqueline Kennedy
73. “Books are lighthouses erected in the great sea of time.” – E.P. Whipple.
74. “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.” – Victor Hugo.